Recipe: Black Bean Fajitas Dip
We’re swooning over this delicious recipe for Black Bean Fajitas Dip courtesy of Calorie King, so we thought we’d share it with you so you can impress your friends with the healthy nibble accompaniment next time you’re required to bring a plate:
- 4 8-inch reduced-fat wholewheat tortillas
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large tomato, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained *
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano or epazote **
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 dash each of salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa, drained
- 1/2 cup (packed) cilantro leaves
- Heat a medium iron skillet or ridged grill pan over high heat until hot. Add the tortillas and heat until hot. Wrap them in foil to keep warm and set aside.
- Add the peppers and cook until they are blistered in many places, about 8 minutes, turning them 3 or 4 times. Transfer them to a serving plate. Add the onion to the pan in one layer. When lightly blackened in places, about 1 minute, turn and grill until they are limp, 1 minute more. Add them to the plate with the peppers.
- Coat the pan with cooking spray. Add the tomato in 1 layer and grill 1 minute. Turn and grill 1 minute longer. Transfer to the plate of vegetables. Wipe the pan and return to the heat.
- Add oil to the pan. Add the beans, cumin and oregano/epazote. Cook, mashing the beans until they are as creamy as you wish, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in the lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the beans among the tortillas. To each, add 6 green pepper strips, 1/4 cup onions, 1 tablespoon salsa, a tomato slice and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Fold the tortilla over the filling and serve.